Saturday, June 25, 2011

am 40 minute run and pm 5x200m + 2x400m

I had a great time watching the US Track and Field championships in Eugene yesterday and Today. The only thing I don't care for is the tactical racing in the finals in the distance and middle distance races.. It makes for poor track and field. It is comical to see a men's final 1500m go out in 2:10 for 800m. Maybe its time to introduce a way to keep the pace more honest in championship races. Since rabbits are not an option, then maybe something in the back of the pack chasing the runners will keep them running fast. I am sure there are tons of creative possibilities.

Yesterday was a nice rest day and full day of track and field at the historical Hayward field. I spent the the night in Eugene and got another full day of track and field and sunshine. I also got in a 40 minute morning run on the Amazon creek trail. After I got home for the meet, I went to the the track and ran a 20 minute warmup then 5x200m cut downs @ 28,27,25,25,24 sec and ran two relaxed 400m @ 61, 59. It always seems easier to run my goal 1500m pace after doing a 200m at my 400m pr pace. I think it is important to do all out sprints of 300m or more in order to improve speed which will translate to less perceived effort at your race pace.


Nick Simmons recently ran a benchmark workout that was 3x400 @ 49 seconds with 6 minutes rest. He then was able to run a Sub 1:45 800m to win the US title.

No comments: