Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Running in the cold rain ? Not a problem

I just got a good idea for my next workout.  Galen Rupp and Alan Webb are training inside the Nike Employee building where they are doing their speed workouts. The workout that was posted online was 12 x 200m @ 28.5 seconds with 45 seconds rest.  I decided that I am going to do this same workout on Thursday. It will be a bit more challenging with the current weather conditions.  Because I don't have access to any indoor facilities,  I have been adapting to the climate by doing my track workouts in the rain.  In order to do this I usually have to do a warm up at near my threshold pace. For example, 2 miles @ 10:20.   I also have to wear a few extra layers to get extra warm. When it comes time to the workout, I shed the rain gear and I will be ready to do my speed workout since I have elevated my core body temperature.

  I believe that training in adverse conditions has made me more mentally prepared to race in bad weather. It is inevitable that there will be stormy weather in the Spring during the track season. I don't remember one race in early Spring that it was not cold, cloudy, windy, or rainy. The human body has the ability to adapt. I don't think training indoors is going to help me when I need to be mentally and physically ready to race in a rain storm.  I also get a good boost of confidence when I pull off an amazing workout in the worst conditions. 

http://trackfocus.com/usa-xc/rainy-day-tales-galen-rupp-alan-webb-and-the-second-floor-runway-in-the-mia-hamm-building.  

No comments: