Monday, January 3, 2011

Another track workout in freezing temperature

Started with 2 miles @ 10:50 min

2x(400m+200m) @ 57,29 sec and 56,27 sec

Again the effort felt like two seconds faster per 400m interval
than what I ran in this workout.  It was difficult to get warmed up even
wearing hats, gloves, half tights, etc...  After the two mile
I had to sit in my car with my heater on high for a few minutes before starting
my faster intervals .

I am sure that intervals in the cold will translate to faster
times in warmer weather with the same effort.  When I come home 
from a run in the cold and try to play the piano before getting warmed up,
it feels impossible. My fingers are half paralyzed. Similarly, when I run fast intervals
on the track, it is like I was shot in the butt with a tranquilizer gun.
When I do an anaerobic workout, the increase of lactic acid seems to have
double the effect. I think it may be eliciting a greater training response
that could result in greater adaptations that will result in improvements
with a proper recovery. After all, when we run hills, train at altitude,
run intervals, etc... We are trying to elicit a bigger training response
resulting in great compensations or physiological adaptations not to 
mention the improved mental toughness that is achieved from getting
outside your comfort zone. 



No comments: