Saturday, January 1, 2011

2x4x300m in sub freezing temp

I am now entered in the 800m scheduled Jan 15 at the first of a series of University of Washington Indoor meets. My goal is to run a sub 1:55 opener. 

Today was a pretty solid workout considering the cold and windy conditions.
I started with 4x300m @ 45,46,46,46 with 60 sec rest. I was wearing many layers and road racing  flats. After a lap jog, I put on my spikes and ran another 4x300m @ 43,44,43,43  with 90 sec rest
and finished with a 29 sec 200m . 

This workout would translate to a faster workout in warmer conditions. This session definitely felt the same intensity as running this same workout 2 or 3 seconds faster in warmer weather. 

 There is nothing like very hot shower alternating with freezing cold shower to feel completely recovered.  Forget the concept of exposing yourself to cold as being the reason for getting sick.
IT IS THE EXACT OPPOSITE!!!  Getting exposed to cold temperatures for short durations has been shown to boost the immune system.   I just did a little research about cold therapy and found that there are amazing benefits. Before you jump into an ice bath, make sure that you are healthy enough to do so.  If you are healthy enough to do moderate exercise, then you are very likely healthy enough for total body cold therapy.  It may be a good idea to get check with your doctor to make sure that you are in good enough health to start an exercise program and or cold temperature therapy.  I found that it helps to warm your body up before taking a cold shower or ice bath. Try a warm sauna followed by a cold shower. Eventually build up your tolerance by decreasing the time in the Sauna or warm shower.  Also, I am now more dependent on a cold shower in the morning than I am for coffee. In fact, no more coffee for me, just a healthy cold shower and I am instantly healthier, happier, and wide awake.  Don't forget a healthy glass of carrot, apple, ginger juice.  Why feel like @!@#bleep%%%3 all the time?  Try a little exercise, raw juice, and cold therapy and  you will start to enjoy life a lot more. 

No comments: