Friday, September 14, 2012

14 mile run and dog attack

Tonight I was running and had to make a quick move to avoid a pit bull in attack mode going straight for my ankles. The dog was so strong it was dragging the owner who looked to be about 200 lbs. It was a narrow trail so I was forced into the bushes where I got scratched up pretty good. I got up and finished the last two miles in anger mode. Unfortunately, I didn't have my pepper spray with me. It protected me from two previous pit bull attacks in McMinnville. I'm glad that I restrained myself and told the owner to tighten the leash rather than telling him off. I'm usually not full of good cheer and merriment after 12 miles. Its also no fun to have to react in fight or flight mode at the end of distance run. Its very similar feeling to sitting in a car for 2 hours, getting out of the car, then immediately have a Grizzly bear charging you. Your reaction is a quick burst of energy that makes you jump to catch the nearest branch ten feet off the ground.

No comments: