Friday, February 7, 2014

Feeding the Birds

Portland is now under siege with a winter storm that has caused many people to stay home. Since driving is difficult, I decided that a good way to get exercise would be to walk to the grocery store in the snow. On the way back from the store, I encountered a row of about 20 crows lined up in single file on an over head power line above the sidewalk. I looked up and was surprised that the crows did not fly away. They looked down at me as if they knew that I had some food in my grocery bags. Unfortunately, I could not offer them their favorite meal, which around here, happens to be fresh flattened squirrel on the road side. They also looked a little lethargic compared to their usual skittish demeanor. Maybe the snow had covered up most of their food. Maybe they were tired from bombarding their enemy, the Red tailed hawk as I witnessed the other day. Just like world War II German fighter pilots against a B52 bomber, the two crows were constantly dive bombing the Hawk to make it leave their forbidden air space. Perhaps Hawks prey on young crows which makes them so hated. I have to admit, that I take the side of the hawk. I generally have not liked crows or any of its related species. As history attests, crows have been made symbols of evil in books and movies. In addition, they make a loud noise that is annoying to say the least. The fact that they are scavengers makes them less than desirable. In some ways, they may be considered a parasite due to their over population. For every 1 hawk there must be about 200 crows. Crows have been known to replace other local species of birds because they prey on the young. As I looked up at the crows I considered throwing a snowball at them or making a load noise to get them to fly away. Instead, I decided to show sympathy. I reached into my grocery bag and found a fresh loaf of bread. I thought I could at least spare a slice. I took the piece of bread and broke it, then gave it to the crows. I was surprised that I did this as were the crows. As I went on my way, the crows swarmed over the pieces of bread that I set on the ground. I heard that familiar repetitive, "caw, caw, caw". It was if they were saying "thank you".

No comments: